Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree

Firstly, I feel I should probably explain the title.

Many years ago in a faraway land (New Mexico) my hilarious father was in a predicament. He insisted these lyrics... "I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree" were real. They popped into his head from time to time and no matter how hard he tried, he could not convince my mother, my two sisters, and myself that they were, indeed real.

He couldn't remember the tune, knew they came from a Jim Croce song, and never budged when we teased him, telling him he had made them up and that he was crazy. We listened to many a Jim Croce songs, and never did these lyrics... "I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree" appear.

                                             Here's the goofball in the flesh.
Well one day, we were at the cabin watching Honeymoon in Vegas (a wonderful movie). Nicholas Cage had just learned his bride-to-be was about to leave for Hawaii with the evil James Caan and was rushing to stop her. As the scene changed, Nicholas dashed down the hotel hallway and we all heard loud and clear... "Well a bless a my soul what's wrong with me? I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree"!!!!
My dad wasn't crazy after all! It existed!! After all the years of teasing and disbelief, he finally proved his point with a giant 'I told you so.'
All be it, it was not Jim Croce, but Elvis Presley... regardless though, he was right. And he still likes to bring it up from time to time.
The end.

The reason this story popped into my head was due to this man. Kraig Parker: Elvis Impersonator Extraordinaire.
I've always been an Elvis fan, and Kyle has always been a Beatles fan. We went to a Beatles tribute show a few years back ("Rain") so he thought it would be nice to take me to an Elvis tribute show!
And it was.
The guy was amazing. He looked just like him (from afar anyway), sounded just like him, and had awesome stage presence.
Other than the sound crew stinking, a 45 year old backup singer shaking her booty all over the stage, and him kissing (no exaggeration) about 30 grandmas on the lips throughout the show, it was really great!
I'm sad I missed out on the Elvis (and Beatles) eras, but I'm glad people still appreciate their music today.
Now if only our new musicians could follow suit....

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment